Friday, September 10, 2004

Radio, radio

Since we're off to such a prolific start, I thought I'd start doing my jorb and post something.

Driving cross country a few weeks ago (from Baltimore to Arizona), my car-mate and I were in an automobile that had only a cassette player. When trying to use the cassette to CD adaptor, the speakers would only produce sound when the plug running from the cassette adaptor to the CD player was only HALF plugged into the CD player. Even then, the sound was sub par. Dreams of listening to Woody Guthrie while in Oklahoma (worst state ever) were smashed. So we listened to more radio than I've listened to in the past 5 years. Which is none. I learned a few things on that trip. 1) You can find a ranting Christian at all hours, anywhere in the country except eastern New Mexico, where you can only find Mexican polka music, 2) You can also find NPR almost anywhere, but with nowhere near the frequency of FM Fundies or AM Wingnuts, 3) Clearchannel and Shamrock (no links, they need no more traffic) own almost everything you hear on the radio but, there is another resource outside of NPR - a growing set of Independent radio stations with strong signals. The one in Baltimore is WTMD. You can listen here. Unfortunately I can't remember the letters or frequencies of all the other independent stations on our trip cross country, but they're written on the map, which I hope to see again soon. Until, listen away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home