Monday, October 18, 2004

Google

Just got out of a recruitment meeting with Google, and they made me want to work there, superbad.

Off the top of my head they mentioned:

-no dress code
-dogs allowed at work
-on site spa
-free oil changes, on site, every Friday
-interview and relocation expenses covered
-20% of all engineers work time is designated as "free" for them to develop and research personal ideas
-extremely low attrition rate
-campus cafeteria catered to employees' tastes, daily free of charge
-they value smarts over experience
-they encourage and pay for conference attendants
-they have more new computer engineering positions than they think they can realistically fill

You can find more info here: Google Jobs

I'll grab extra shirts if I can.

Also, they described their applicant database, which was developed in house, and it sounds very similar to the search parameters of gmail (of which I have remaining accounts to give out). They archive every time someone "applies" to Google. This can be good and bad. If they see a marked improvement in skills, grades, and abilities over your resumes over time, they are much more likely to consider you. If you submit your resume 30 times with little or no improvements, they can filter your mail directly into the trash.

3 Comments:

Blogger Galactichero said...

Are they looking for lawyers??!?!?!?

October 18, 2004 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger The Malcontent said...

They are looking for lawyers.

October 19, 2004 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Galactichero said...

As usual, I am WAAAY underqualified for IP positions.

I am the only person I know who can NOT get hired for a job I am overqualified for in a phone call where I am called "brilliant" three times, and told that I am "way beyond the curve." Suckage...

October 19, 2004 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home